|It is the city's main Catholic Church and the seat of the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro. The original church was built in 1845 by the Augustinian Friars but was destroyed during the American bombardment in 1945. Only the wooden cross in front of the church survive up to this day. After the war, American missionary Fr. James T.G. Hayes S.J., who later became the city's archbishop rebuilt the church inspired by Gothic architecture. Its centuries old stained glass windows came from another old Gothicchurch which were donated by American Catholics from New York, USA.